Vietnamese Snails Stuffed with Mushroom (Ốc Bưu Nhồi Thịt)
Add your photo of this recipe!
This unique snail dish is simple, easy to make, tasty and a little spicy. Check out SimplyViet.com for more photos.Vietnamese Snails Stuffed with Mushroom (Ốc Bưu Nhồi Thịt),
- Approximately 12 snails in shell
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
- 3 teaspoons finely chopped lemongrass
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped red pepper
- 3 teaspoons finely chopped wood-eared mushrooms (cooked)
- 1 small bowl pork paste
- 1/2 small bowl fish cake
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 3 teaspoons coconut soda or water
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- Remaining ginger mixture (see Step 4 below)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
Preparation1. In a blender, finely chop ginger, lemongrass, and red pepper together.
2. In boiling hot water, boil the mushrooms for 3 minutes. Rinse in cool water, then finely chop them.
3. Cook snails in boiling water for approximately 3-5 minutes. Remove the snail meat from the shell. Set aside the shells.
4. In a blender, chop the snail meat. Add chopped mushrooms, and approximately 90% of the ginger mixture from Step 1. Blend together. (The remaining ginger mixture will be used for the sauce.)
5. Remove the chopped snail mixture to a medium-sized bowl. Mix in the pork paste and fish cake.
6. Separate lemongrass shells from two stalks of lemongrass. Cut them to approximately 10 inches long. Boil the lemongrass shells to make them softer and more pliable.
7. Place one lemongrass shell into each snail shell (please see video). Scoop chopped snail mixture and stuff them into each snail shell. Steam the stuffed snails for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until cooked and well done.
To prepare the dipping sauce:
1. Boil fish sauce on low heat. Add coconut soda or water, sugar, and boil for 3-5 minutes. Turn off heat and cool down the sauce.
2. Combine fish sauce mixture, remaining ginger mixture saved from Step 4 above, and lemon juice. Serve as dipping sauce to accompany the stuffed snails.