Vietnamese Pancake (Bánh Xèo)
Add your photo of this recipe!
For more photos and recipes, please visit my blog at Danang Cuisine.Vietnamese Pancake (Bánh Xèo),
- 400g (2 1/2 cups) rice flour
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup beer or coconut milk
- 3 stalks spring onion, chopped (=1/3 cup)
- 500g (1.1 lbs) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 300g (2/3 lb) pork belly, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Preparation1. Whisk together rice flour and turmeric powder with 1 teaspoon salt and water until smooth. Mix in beer or coconut milk. Add chopped spring onion and let the batter rest for 30 minutes.
2. Season pork with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Season shrimp with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Set aside for 15 minutes.
3. Heat a pan on medium high heat with some vegetable oil. Add 2 shrimps and a few pork slices and sauté both sides until shrimp and pork change color. Only add the shrimps to half of the pancake; the non shrimp side will be folded over later.
4. Ladle in some batter and tilt the pan in a circular motion to spread the batter evenly. Cover and cook for 1 minute. Add some beansprouts, cover and cook for another minute.
5. Fold the pancake in half so that the 2 shrimps stay on opposite sides. Cook for another minute and transfer to a plate.
6. Serve with a lot of fresh mustard leaves, lettuce leaves, cucumber and herbs (mint, perilla, cilantro, etc.) and light dipping fish sauce. For more photos and recipes, please visit my blog at Danang Cuisine.