Tom Yum Gai (Hot and Sour Soup)
This Thai hot and sour soup has a nice balance of flavors. Along with Pad Thai and Drunken Noodles, this is a popular dish at my restaurant. It’s a great starter to a wonderful meal!Tom Yum Gai (Hot and Sour Soup),
- 1/4 cup galanga, sliced
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup lemongrass root, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon shrimp chili paste
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 2 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup chicken breast, chopped
- 1/4 white onions, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 5 fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can straw mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions
- 5 red and green fresh chili peppers
Preparation1. In a pot, add galanga, kaffir leaves, fish sauce, lemon juice, lemongrass, shrimp chili paste, tamarind paste and 2 1/2 cups of water.
2. Let it boil on high heat, then add chicken, sliced onions, sliced tomato, and mushrooms. Bring back to boil and cook 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
3. Serve in bowl and top off with cilantro, green onions and sliced chili peppers. Squeeze lemon juice to your liking.