The Best Banh Xeo (Vietnamese Pancakes)
My mom used to make us banh xeo whenever it rained. I’ve continued this tradition with my family, and my kids love it. This is really fast and easy to make, and you can change the filling to suit different tastes.The Best Banh Xeo (Vietnamese Pancakes),
- 12 oz of Banh Xeo flour
- 3 1/3 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of beer
- 1 1/3 cups of chopped green onions
- Vegetable oil
- 2 pounds of thinly sliced pork belly
- Fish sauce
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 pound of peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 cup of thinly sliced white onions
- 1 cup of bean sprouts
- Sweet and sour chili sauce (recipe here)
Preparation1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, water and beer. Add 1/3 cup of chopped green onions. Set aside.
2. Heat pan on medium-high. Add oil. Add thinly sliced pork belly, 1 teaspoon of fish sauce, 1 teaspoon of black pepper and stir until meat is cooked.
3. Heat a greased non-stick pan on medium. Stir in a few pieces of shrimp, a few slices of pork belly, some sliced white onions, and some chopped green onions.
4. Pour in sufficient batter to cover the surface of the pan. Add some bean sprouts and cover lid until pancake is golden brown on the bottom.
5. Fold pancake in half and serve with sweet and sour chili sauce.