Spicy Curry Noodles (Laksa)
I love this rich, spicy coconut noodle dish. I like to eat it with a lot of sauce, almost soup-like. You probably already know this, but when I first started cooking Asian dishes, I wasn’t aware that there’s a difference between Asian rice vermicelli and vermicelli from the pasta aisle. They’re actually very different. For this dish, please use Asian rice vermicelli.Spicy Curry Noodles (Laksa),
- 1 package rice vermicelli
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup sliced lemon grass
- 1/4 cup sliced turmeric (use fresh, or 1 teaspoon powder)
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 cups coconut milk (about 2-3 cans)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup sliced bamboo
- 1/2 lb boiled shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup diced cooked chicken
Preparation1. Cook rice vermicelli according to package instructions. Drain and rinse in cold water to halt cooking and keep noodles separated.
2. Pound shallots, lemon grass, turmeric, chili paste, shrimp paste, and garlic to a fine paste.
3. Heat oil over medium heat, then stir fry the paste for 1 minute. Add the sugar, salt, coconut milk, and onion, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat until the coconut milk breaks into the oil.
4. Add the chicken and shrimp and simmer until everything is hot. Serve over rice vermicelli.