Japanese Chicken Rice Bowl (Oyakodon)
This is a really easy dish to make for dinner. I served it to my friends recently and they all asked for the recipe, so I figured I would post it here for everyone to enjoy.Japanese Chicken Rice Bowl (Oyakodon),
- 5 medium chicken thighs, preferably with bone in
- 1 onion
- 2 cups Hoshi-Shiitake Dashi stock (see below for preparation)
- 8 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons Mirin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2.5 cups water
- 2-3 hoshi-shiitake (dried shitake mushrooms)
Preparation1. Cut chicken thighs into chunks while keeping the bones (this adds flavor to the stock). Separately, cut onion into slices. Pour Dashi soup stock (see below for preparation) in a relatively deep pan on medium heat and add soy sauce, Mirin, and sugar to the pan and stir.
2. Place chicken chunks in the pan until it simmers on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Then add onions to the pan and simmer a few more minutes until chicken is cooked and onions are softer.
3. Separately, whisk eggs in a bowl. Bring the soup to a boil, and after chicken is cooked thoroughly, pour the eggs over chicken and onion. Turn the heat down to low and put on a lid. After one minute, turn off the heat. The chicken is best served over Japanese rice.
For Hoshi-Shiitake Dashi stock
1. Put water and hoshi-shiitake in a pan and soak for 10 minutes. Heat up the water and turn off the heat when the water comes to a boil.
2. Let stand for 20 minutes and strain the broth for use. Feel free to add the cooked mushrooms to the Oyakodon while the chicken is cooking.