Mien Sauce (Chili-Cilantro-Garlic Sauce)
This is a spicy sauce we use for everything. We love it on chicken wings, salmon, any kind of meat, really. Kao and I think this is best when served chilled. If we’re pressed for time, we’ll put in the freezer. This can be made the night before and fridged. It’ll last 2-3 days in the fridge. FYI, you need a mortar and pestle. Oh, and the order is important. I’m not sure why, but Kao’s mom said so, and it’s always better when we do it the right way.Mien Sauce (Chili-Cilantro-Garlic Sauce),
- 4-6 cloves of garlic
- 10-15 Thai chili peppers
- ½ bunch of cilantro
- Half a lemon
- ½ tsp of fish sauce (or to taste)
- ¼ tsp of salt (or to taste)
Preparation1. Peel garlic cloves and roughly slice. Place in mortar and roughly smash (not too much).
2. Roughly slice Thai chili peppers and add to mortar. Smash to desired consistency.
3. Add salt and mix well.
4. Roughly chop cilantro and add to mortar. Roughly smash.
5. Add fish sauce and juice from half a lemon and mix well.
6. Add more Thai chili peppers for extra heat, or add more cilantro and lemon juice to make it mild.