Microwave Liang Fen (Klang Fen, K’liang Fenv)
Introducing a new way to make a popular Mien snack – microwaveable “k’liang fenv”! In this video, I show you how to make k’liang fenv in some very easy steps. Special thanks to Mey Chao in Portland, Oregon for providing me with instructions. This version of making k’liang fenv is more for entertaining; for a more traditional preparation of k’liang fenv, see this recipe.Microwave Liang Fen (Klang Fen, K'liang Fenv),
IngredientsFor the flour mixture:
- 2 cups "all-purpose" flour
- 6 cups water
- 5 tablespoons limestone paste + water mixture, mixed per package instructions
- 1 cup sliced tomatoes
- ½ block of raw tamarind
- 1 ½ cups Thai chili peppers
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fermented soy bean paste ("dopc zueix")
- ½ cup minced cilantro
PreparationFor the flour mixture:
1. Whisk flour, water, and limestone paste + water mixture, until smooth.
2. Microwave for 11 minutes (in a plastic container) or 20 minutes (in a ceramic bowl). Check and stir mixture every 3 minutes until it firms up like Jello.
For the soup base:
1. Add sliced tomatoes to a pot of boiling water.
2. Add raw tamarind to the pot. Let the soup boil for 5 minutes.
For the pepper sauce
1. Add Thai chili peppers to a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes.
2. Add garlic cloves to the pot. Strain when done and put the garlic cloves and chili peppers into a blender. Add in fermented soy bean paste (dopc zeic).
3. Whip the mixture until smooth. Add minced cilantro and stir mixture.
To serve, cut the flour mixture into cubes or strain into noodles. Pour in soup and add the pepper sauce to taste. Enjoy!