Homemade Banh Mi (Vietnamese Meatball Sandwich)
This is a home-made version of the banh mi found in restaurants. The meatballs in this sandwich are great by themselves, on top of spaghetti or over rice. I buy the bread at my local grocer.Homemade Banh Mi (Vietnamese Meatball Sandwich),
- 1 lb of ground pork
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of dried onions
- 2 cucumbers, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced (optional)
- 6 loaves of French bread
1. In a bowl, mix ground pork, 3-4 cloves of minced garlic, salt, black pepper. Roll meat mixture into balls.
2. Heat oil in pot. Stir in 2 cloves of minced garlic, tomatoes and meatballs.
3. In a separate bowl, combine sugar and fish sauce. Add to pot of meatballs. Add water, dash of black pepper and a pinch of dried onions. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
4. Serve meatballs in French bread, with sliced cucumbers, jalapenos, and carrots.