Hearty Hot & Sour Soup
Like with most Chinese dishes, this one can be made strictly a vegetarian soup by using a veggie stock. Typically, thinly sliced pork is added for a more heartier soup. Feel free to add more vinegar or white pepper to suit your taste!Hearty Hot & Sour Soup,
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 9 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 handful of dried lily flower (soak in hot water for 10 mins, then rinse thoroughly)
- 1 pack of firm tofu, cut into small squares
- 4 jumbo fresh shiitaki mushrooms, sliced
- 1 handful of black fungus (soak in hot water until it softens, then rinse thoroughly)
- 3 teaspoons of white pepper
- 3 teaspoons of salt
- 3 tablespoons of starch, dissolved in 3 tablespoons of cold water
Preparation1. In a large pot, mix water, chicken broth, white vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Boil on high heat.
2. Add dried lily flower, tofu, shiitaki mushrooms, and a handful of dried black fungus, then boil for another 10 minutes. Add white pepper and salt.
3. Add starch mixture to pot while stirring to help thicken the soup.