Fusion Steak Salad
This recipe truly reflects my lifelong journey. The original idea was to combine Thai flavors and fresh greens that can easily be found in supermarkets in California. The outcome is a unique dish that is healthy, colorful, and flavorful.Fusion Steak Salad,
- 1 Lb lean steak (New York or Rib-eyed, trimmed)
- 1 teaspoon Johnny's Steak Seasoning (or seasoning of your choice)
- 4 stalks of lemon grass roots (about 3 inches), thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic head, crushed
- 1 lemon or lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 Romaine lettuce hearts
- 4 vine-ripe tomatoes, cut into 16 wedges each
- 2 English cucumbers, peeled, sliced into rounds
- 1 Red bell pepper, core removed, sliced lengthwise
- 1 Yellow zucchini, cut into matchsticks (substitute yellow bell peppers, if preferred)
- 6 stalks of green onions, chopped
- 1 purple union, sliced
- Italian salad dressing
- Fish sauce to taste
1. Rub steak seasoning on the steak. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside. Let marinade for about an hour.
2. In a mortar, pound sliced lemon grass with salt until soft and powdery. Add crushed garlic and continue to pound until it becomes a paste. Add lemon or lime juice, chopped cilantro, and mix.
3. Pull and trim off any bruised or brown lettuce and discard. Wash and shake off any excess water. Tear lettuce into bite-size pieces. Combine with the rest of the salad ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
4. Grill steak to desired doneness and cut into bite-size pieces.
5. To serve, pour lemon grass and garlic dressing over salad. Add desired amount of Italian dressing. Toss. Add fish sauce to taste.
6. In individual serving plate, line the plate with desired amount of salad. Add sliced steak, mix, and enjoy.