Fresh Vietnamese Spring Rolls (Summer Rolls)
Spring rolls are a hit at parties. Prepare the ingredients ahead of time and guests can make their own rolls to suit their tastes. I like to place the shrimp on the wrapper before the other ingredients, so the shrimp’s color shows through. For the peanut sauce, you can kick up the spice level by adding more siracha.Fresh Vietnamese Spring Rolls (Summer Rolls),
IngredientsFor dipping sauce:
- 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar
- 1 cup of hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup of chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon of siracha sauce
- 1 cup of peanuts
- 1 pound pork shoulders (optional)
- 1 pound shrimp
- 1 package of vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 package of rice wraps
- Red leaf lettuce (optional)
- Cilantro (optional)
- Mint (optional)
- Cucumbers, sliced lengthwise (optional)
- Chives, sliced (optional)
PreparationFor dipping sauce:
1. In a small pot over low heat, stir in vinegar, hoisin sauce, chicken broth, peanut butter, and siracha. Stir for 5 minutes or until peanut butter melts.
2. In a pan over low heat, toast peanuts until golden brown. Lightly crush peanuts and sprinkle over dipping sauce.
For meat and noodles:
1. In a large pot, boil pork shoulders and shrimp. As water boils, continuously skim off the foam.
2. In a separate large pot, boil water, and add vermicelli noodles. Continue boiling noodles until softened, then drain noodles under cold water.
3. Remove shrimp when cooked and slice each in half. Remove veins. Set aside.
4. Remove pork shoulders when fully cooked (approximately 45 minutes). Slice pork shoulders into thin slices.
1. Dip rice wrap into a bowl of hot water and remove instantly. Set on a flat surface.
2. On top of rice wrap, add pork, shrimp, noodles, lettuce, cilantro, mint, cucumbers, and chives. Roll to close and serve with dipping sauce.