Easy KaSoy Noodles (Khao Soi, Kao Soi)
What I love about this dish is it is so versatile – easy to make and great for cold weather. You can mix and match the ingredients to create different meals and make it your own; your choice of meat, meatballs, veggies and even carbs. I’ve seen this dish served both over rice and noodles.
Easy KaSoy Noodles (Khao Soi, Kao Soi) ,
- 1 package instant Beef Pho Seasoning
- 1 package beef balls
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground chicken breast or your choice of meat (I’ve made this dish with ground pork and beef as well)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- Your choice of other types of fish balls, shrimp balls or even tofu
- Half of a cabbage and/or other veggies
- Green onions
- 1 lemon or lime
- 1 package rice stick noodles or fresh noodles (if available)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium yellow onion
Preparation1. In a large pot, add half of the beef seasoning package to 10 quarts of water (add more seasoning as desired). Quarter an onion and add to water.
2. Slice 6-8 beef balls in half and add to water (this adds additional beef flavor to the broth). Bring to boil, lower heat and let simmer for at least 30 minutes.
3. In a pan, heat 1 teaspoon of oil. Add minced garlic and cook until softened. Add ground chicken, season with salt as desired, and cook until about ¾ done. Add diced tomatoes, and cook until softened and chicken is fully cooked. Set aside.
4. Add your choice of shrimp, fish, crab, etc. type of balls to broth.
5. Thinly julienne half a cabbage. Chop cilantro, green onion and lemon/lime. Set aside.
6. To serve, place noodles in a soup bowl, add ground chicken, pour broth into bowl along with beef balls, fish balls, and/or shrimp balls. Add garnishes (chopped cilantro, green onion), veggies (cabbage), condiments (chili sauce, Sriracha, fish sauce, lemon juice) and enjoy.