Easy Cozy Chicken Curry
I love this dish because it’s really hearty and it makes me feel homey when I eat it. It’s great over rice or your choice of noodles. It’s also easy to make so it’s a big plus for me.Easy Cozy Chicken Curry,
- 1 pound chicken (drumsticks, thighs, breast, etc.)
- 4 teaspoons yellow curry
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups of chicken broth (use less for thicker curry)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks of lemongrass (Smash the bulb end of the lemongrass enough to break it a little. This process will make the lemongrass more aromatic.)
- 4 bay leaves
- Fresh basil to taste
- 1 can of coconut milk
- Fish sauce, to taste
1. In a large bowl, coat chicken with yellow curry, cayenne pepper and a little bit of salt. Allow chicken to marinate while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
2. In a large pot on medium heat, add yellow curry, cayenne pepper and bay leaves. Stir-fry dry ingredients until aromatic (approximately 1-2 minutes). Add 1-2 teaspoons of oil to the dry ingredients. Add chopped onions and stir-fry until softened (approximately 1-2 minutes).
3. Add chicken and stir until chicken is evenly coated. Add some of the broth to help with coating if needed. Add potatoes and carrots and stir until all ingredients are evenly coated, adding more chicken broth to help with coating if necessary.
4. Pour in remaining chicken broth and coconut milk. Stir well. Turn heat on high and bring to a boil. Add lemongrass and basil, then turn heat to low. Cover and cook for about an hour. After an hour check seasoning and chicken and vegetables for tenderness. Add more cayenne pepper and fish sauce as needed. Cook for an additional 30 minutes.