Cuban Banh Mi (Cuban-Vietnamese Sandwich)
I was all excited about making a Vietnamese sandwich on my day off and then somebody got me talking about Cuban sandwiches. What to do? I meditated on it and inspiration struck: Cuban-Vietnamese sandwich!Cuban Banh Mi (Cuban-Vietnamese Sandwich),
- 1 bread roll
- sliced pork belly
- cheese (I use Mexican cojita cheese in this)
- pickled carrots/daikon/jalapeno
Preparation1. Assemble your sandwich and butter the outside of the bread.
2. A Cuban sandwich is pressed and grilled, so if you have a panini press or a George Foreman grill or something, just use that. If not:
- Preheat two heavy skillets on high.
- Place sandwich in one skillet and press down on top with the back of the other skillet.
- Grill for about 2 minutes or until lightly browned. (I weighed down my top skillet with a
pot of water rather than holding it there.)