Classic Chinese Dumplings (Jiaozi, 饺子, 餃子)
A classic staple in the Chinese culture. The best thing about making dumplings is that you can use ground pork, chicken or turkey. If potsticker wrappers are not available, you can use wonton or shui mai wrappers. For a more heartier version, try adding a pack of firm tofu & mix it into your meat mixture.Classic Chinese Dumplings (Jiaozi, 饺子, 餃子),
- 3 pounds of lean ground meat of your choice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon of chicken powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- Dash of white pepper
- 2 tablespoons of chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- 1 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger
- 1 package round potsticker wrappers
Preparation1. Mix all the above ingredients together in a bowl. When mixing in the ginger, squeeze the juice from the ginger into the bowl first.
2. Lay wrap on a flat surface and spoon 3/4 teaspoon of meat mixture in the center of the wrap.
3. Wet the edge of the wrap, fold wrap in half, wet the edge again, then pinch & fold along the edge.
4. In a steamer, lay 1 sheet of wax paper with wax side facing up. Lay dumplings on wax paper, cover with lid, and put steamer over a pot of hot water.
5. Steam for approximately 10 minutes. Serve with soup (recipe here).