Chicken in Lemongrass and Chili
A classic Vietnamese chicken dish with a great lemongrass fragrance. There’s a really nice sweet and savory combination with the chicken and caramel sauce. Be careful when making the caramel, though, don’t let it burn.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup water
- 3 lb chicken
- 1 large onion
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt, to taste
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoon minced lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon ground chili
- 4 tablespoon Nuoc Mam (Vietnamese fish sauce)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon caramel sauce
- 1 cup water
PreparationFor the caramel sauce:
1. Mix 1/2 cup sugar with 4 tablespoons of water in heavy saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Continue cooking until mixture begins to change color.
3. Turn heat to low and cook until browned. Add 1/2 cup water to mixture. Remove from heat and store in a jar in the refrigerator.
For the chicken:
1. Rinse chicken, dry well, and cut into small pieces; peel garlic and slice finely; and cut onion into 1/2 inch strips.
4. Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Add a pinch of salt, garlic, and onion.
5. Fry over medium heat until onion becomes translucent. Add lemongrass and chili.
6. Fry for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned. Add fish sauce, sugar and caramel sauce, mixing well.
7. Add 1 cup of water and cook 45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Stir occasionally and add more water if necessary. Serve hot with caramel sauce .