Cow Cake (Bánh Bò)
Bánh bò, literally “cow cake”, is a Vietnamese traditional steamed cake that is especially popular in central and southern Vietnam. While banh bo in the south comes in a wide variety of colors, banh bo in Da Nang is generally white and has a mild coconut taste. For more photos and recipes, please visit my blog at Danang Cuisine.
- 300g (1.5 cups) sugar
- 400ml (1.7 cups) coconut milk
- 500g (3.1 cups) rice flour
- 100g (0.6 cups) tapioca starch
- 7g yeast
- 450ml (1.9 cups) water
Preparation1. In a sauce pan, dissolve sugar and coconut milk on medium heat. Let cool to room temperature.
2. Mix rice flour, tapioca starch and a pack of yeast in a mixing bowl. Add in water and knead well for 10 mins.
3. Mix the batter and the mixture of sugar and coconut milk until everything has dissolved. Let sit for at least 1 1/2 hours until batter rises and many small bubbles appear.
3. Spray egg cups with cooking spray or brush with vegetable oil. Fill with batter and steam each batch for 10-15 minutes. For more photos and recipes, please visit my blog at Danang Cuisine.